CURRENT LOCATION: Camping du Canal, Kembs
Basel… You almost ruined my day. More later on that score. Basel aside, today was up there with one of the best days of cycling and I’m so delighted that I’ve been able to sample at least some of the delights of the shore of the Bodensee. It was the stuff of cycling dreams; beautiful scenery, nice weather, great cycle paths, fascinating places to visit and a satisfying distance covered. It’s one of those days when you are better off not reading this drivel and just watching the video.
Anyone still here? The highlights were (we haven’t had bullet points ok for a while so here goes…):
- Getting my clothes washed at 7am in Konstanz (despite the owner telling me off for putting the bike inside the laundrette – I was tempted to tell him how much I paid for it…).
- Buying a pack of razors for €1.99 in a small corner shop that happened to be open at 8am, going back to the hotel and hacking off the beard. (It took 3 razors…).
- The spiral cycling paths to the bridges in Konstanz…
- …and the bridge that was called ‘The Cycling Bridge’!
- My first salty pretzel of the trip, especially the salt crystals that had fallen off while I was eating the pretzel that I could eat at the end.
- The cycling from Konstanz to Schaffhausen. Every single centimetre was wonderful.
- Stein Am Rhein. Wow! Just watch the video…
- The Rheinfall. Some people in recent days have suggested that it’s good, but not that good. Having followed the Rhine for quite a few days now, I was impressed.
- The friendly welcome at Camping du Canal, the playlist in the bar (which resembles the naff list of songs on my iTunes playlist…) and this:
Less worthy of praise:
- Basel station (no lifts or ramps)
- Basel mobile phone coverage (meaning no access to Google Maps)
- Basel cycling directions (meaning I spend 10 minutes staring at a road junction because I have no idea where I am).
(Can you spot the theme?)
Tomorrow? Goodness knows… Stay tuned.
LATEST CYCLING EUROPE POSTS:
- The End Of 2022 Is Nigh… And 2023 Beckons
- Danny MacAskill’s Postcard From San Francisco
- Le Grand Tour: The Film Premieres
- Best Countries For Your First Cycling Trip In Europe
- What To Do If You Experience A Cycling Accident On The Road
Since 2009, CyclingEurope.org has established itself as a valued, FREE cycle touring resource. There’s now even a podcast, The Cycling Europe Podcast. If you enjoy the website and the podcast, please consider supporting the work of CyclingEurope.org with a donation. More information can be found here. Thanks if you do!
Catch up with The Cycling Europe Podcast: