Since 2009, CyclingEurope.org has established itself as a valued, FREE cycle touring resource. There's now even a podcast, The Cycling Europe Podcast. If you enjoy the website and the podcast, please consider supporting the work of CyclingEurope.org with a donation via Ko-Fi. Thanks if you do!
Never booked and always found a spot. In that area of Scotland they get a lot of people touring (either by bike or campervan) and just staying one night so they are used to it. Places also say that they will always find space for a bike / backpacker even if they are ‘full’.
Thanks. That’s normally been my experience on the continent (although not always!)
Love your route – covered most of it over the last couple of years. My hints and tips:
– Skin so Soft is rubbish but Smidge works a treat
– Stay at Sunnyside Croft rather than Camasdarach – facilities MUCH better and I was only charged £7.50 / night. REALLY recommend this place.
– Resipole looked large and manicured, but campsite at Strontian was a gem with good backpackers lounge
– Scourie – good site especially if there is a good sunset
– Oban – the Oban Caravan and Camping Park (2mls) south is excellent
– Ullapool – the site in centre is fine and handy for pubs / ferry watching etc.
Thanks Jen – very useful indeed.
Quick question: did you book in advance or did you find that there was always space for cyclists with just a small tent? 🙂